20 Sep Cashew macadamia nut butter
Macadamia nuts are so special. When I was in Hawaii, they were the most popular nut there but I find here, we enjoy them in deserts and with chocolate. Since I love making and eating nut butters, I thought, why not make a macadamia nut butter. I combined them with cashews to make sure I would obtain a creamy texture and it came out as a very heavenly butter.
- 1 ½ cup cashews, raw
- 1 ½ cups macadamia nuts, raw
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay nuts on a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, checking often to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove as soon as color starts to change. You will smell the fragrant nuts at this point.
- Let cool slightly and transfer to the food processor or high speed blender (this works very well in the Vitamix).
- Start processing at low speed and slowly increase speed.
- You may have to stop processing once in a while to stir with a spoon so that the nuts are not all stuck to the sides.
- If you have a Vitamix, the nuts will first be ground and will quickly turn into butter. The process should take you approximately 5 minutes. With another food processor, it could be longer but keep processing until you obtain a smooth butter.
You can add ingredients to this butter such as vanilla, cinnamon or salt. I prefer it plain as the nuts are so fragrant, it really is delicious at its natural state. You can then use as a spread on wholegrain toast or I like it on these little buckwheat toasts that I always keep for a healthy gluten-free snack. This nut butter is also delicious in overnight oats, cooked oats or buckwheat porridge. It is also the main ingredient in my “energy bites with a tropical twist”.