18 Nov Peanut butter chocolate energy balls
These are similar to other energy balls that I usually make and because of this, I never thought of sharing this recipe. But even if it is similar to the other recipes which are on my website, for some reason, this is the one that my daughter loves. Being an active pre-teen, she has not much time for eating. She sometimes does’t even think of eating. But these, she loves and when I make them, they disappear very quickly because she can easily have them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. OK, maybe I’m pushing it, but if it would be up to her, she would be able to live off these. At least I am comforted by the fact that they contain wholesome ingredients that are minimally processed and no added sugar (except in the chocolate chips if you are using). They are packed with whole grains, dried fruit, protein and good fats.
Ingredients (approximately 13-16 balls):
- 10-12 medjool dates
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (only ingredient being peanuts)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil unrefined
- 2 tbsp. chocolate chips 70% coco content (optional)
- In a high speed food processor, blend all ingredients except chocolate chips if using.
- You may have to open and stir a few times to get the mixing going.
- Once you obtain a smooth paste, add chocolate chips and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Form balls with your hands and refrigerate so that they harden and keep their form.
- Keep refrigerated and enjoy. They will last up to a few weeks I the refrigerator or longer in the freezer but in my house, they go in a few days. You may want to double the quantities if this is you case also.