29 Jul Sunshine salad
Who said we couldn’t create our own sunshine!
This is the perfect lunch, for a sunny summer afternoon. Or better yet, if the weather is not to your liking, create your own sunshine with this colorful and delicious salad. This is one recipe where I won’t tell you the lemon zest is optional, it actually creates the punch! You will be eating with your eyes, this is so beautiful and the taste I promise will live up to your expectations. Serves 2.
- One cup of cherry or grape tomatoes (any colour), sliced
- One avocado, diced
- One colorful pepper cut up in big dice (if using red tomatoes, try an orange pepper for more color)
- Half a cup of button mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup of drained and patted dry sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup of toasted pecans chopped in big pieces
- Juice and zest from one big lemon
- 3 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil (one with a tangy taste would work well)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all vegetables, including avocado and sun-dried tomatoes, in a large bowl. Pour in olive oil and the lemon juice. mix well, add salt and pepper. Divide in 2 bowls and zest the lemon* directly on top of the bowls (make sure both get equal amounts).
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans and serve.
- *note: You may want to zest the lemon before squeezing it as it will be easier. If doing so, zest directly on top of the salad so that you don’t lose any of the essential oils that add greatly to the taste. It is ok to sprinkle lemon juice after as long as you mix well before serving.
- For a complete meal, try adding ½ a cup of cooked chickpeas to each portion