07 Sep Coconut and cocoa raw cookies
Here is a quick recipe that can easily give you that little “pick me up” if you get a mid-afternoon slump. Because it is a good source of carbohydrate, it can also be enjoyed as a pre workout snack or as a post workout snack as well. Try and keep the maple syrup to a minimum so that this stays in the healthy category. I myself made these with a little less than one quarter cup of maple syrup and they were delicious. This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Angela Liddon on her site Ohsheglows.
Ingredients (makes 8-10 cookies)
- 3 Tbsp of virgin coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp of natural almond or peanut butter
- a little less than 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup (to taste)
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 7 Tbsp of rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 6-7 Tbps of shredded coconut non-sweetened
- 2 Tbsp of chia seeds
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil with nut butter and add cocoa powder as well as maple syrup.
- With a whisk, mix all ingredients until the liquid is creamy and smooth.
- Add rolled oats, shredded coconut and chia seeds and with a wooden spoon, mix well.
- Form cookies or energy balls and place on a parchment paper on a flat plate or cookie sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator and let cool for a few hours.
- Enjoy cold! These cookies or energy balls are best eaten straight from the refrigerator because if left out, they melt and become too soft.