30 Sep Zucchini and sweet potato fritters on kale salad
These fritters are easy and quick to prepare. They are also a nice change from a traditional omelette and they do contain a lot of veggies. The sweet potato gives them that comforting and yummy texture. Serve them on a dark green kale salad to create a light meal that is vibrant and delicious.
Ingredients (makes approx 12 fritters)
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp. rice flour (you can use regular all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil or olive oil for skillet
- I bunch of kale thoroughly washed
- Olive oil, lemon juice
- Grated parmesan (optional)
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- Wrap zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, toss together grated zucchini, grated sweet potato and chopped onion.
- In another bowl, mix flour and curry powder, throw the mixture into the veggies and coat well.
- Add the eggs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1½ tbsp. oil on medium-high heat.
- Drop about ¼ cup of the zucchini mixture in the pan and press gently to form patties.
- Cook for a few minutes (approx. 4 min) before turning and cooking the other side another 4 minutes.
- Repeat the same process to form additional patties with the rest of the mixture.
- Place fritters on a baking sheet in a 300 F oven to keep warm.
- To prepare the salad, wash kale thoroughly and remove stems.
- Chop the leaves in very thin strips and squeeze fresh lemon on top of the salad.
- Drizzle with olive oil until the leaves appear slightly moist and toss well.
- Season with salt, pepper, fresh herbs and grated parmesan cheese.