23 Oct How to prepare ghee
You can use the ghee to cook with as it has a high burning temperature or you can even bake with it. Spreading it on bread or crackers is absolutely delicious!
- 1 pound of unsalted butter (preferably organic)
- Prepare a few layers of cheesecloth over a sterilized heatproof container and secure with a rubber band.
- In a heavy duty saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until it has melted.
- Let simmer gently, uncovered, for approximately 20 minutes.
- The foam will rise on top of the melted butter.
- The ghee will turn a golden brown color at the bottom and at that point, remove from the heat so as not to burn it.
- Pour the warm liquid butter through the cheesecloth into the container.
- The solids will be strained out by the cheesecloth.
- Remove cheesecloth along with any solids that have been strained out.
- Let the ghee cool at room temperature to solidify before placing the lid on the container.
- The ghee will keep for up to one year in the fridge or for a few months at room temperature.