13 Dec Shot glasses with black bean hummus topped with guacamole
This is a fun and healthy vegan, gluten free, appetizer. It’s also delicious and beautiful and if you use only green and red veggie sticks, it also makes for a good holiday theme.
Ingredients (for approximately 16 little shooter glasses)
For the black bean hummus:
- 1 can of organic black beans, low sodium, thoroughly rinsed and liquid drained out (398 mL)
- 3 tbsp. fruity olive oil
- 1 tbsp. organic chili powder
- ¾ tsp. salt (unless beans are not low sodium)
- A little water for thinningFor the guacamole:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ of a small red onion, finely chopped
- The juice of one lime
- Salt to taste1 tomato, choppedVeggie sticks and crackers for dipping
- For the black bean hummus:Put all ingredients in the food processor except the water and blend well. I like to leave some texture and to see some beans through the puree so I don’t blend all the way to a smooth paste. Slowly add water in order to obtain a creamy mix. You might need to stop and give a little mix with your spoon depending on the size of your food processor. Have a taste and adjust seasoning.
- For the guacamole:I like to mash my avocado with a fork because I like the texture I obtain by doing it this way. Once the avocado is mashed, add cilantro, red onion, lime juice and salt and mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste.For assembling, use a shot glass and put one tsp. of black bean hummus at the bottom and top with one tsp. of the guacamole on top. Make sure to use separate spoons for both dips so that the layers stay clean. Top with little cubes of tomato for color and plant one or two sticks of raw veggies for dipping. You can also use crackers if you can find some that have a longish shape and that are strong enough to withhold a good amount of dip without breaking.
This is a healthy vegan, gluten free, appetizer. It’s also delicious and beautiful and if you use only green and red veggie sticks, it also makes for a good holiday theme.