07 Feb Chickpea and veggie curry
This is a lovely go-to meal that I make when I need something warming and comforting. Perfect for a cold February day! I like the fact that it’s versatile, I can make it with pretty much any veggies that I have on hand and if I feel in the mood for some meat, I can substitute the chickpeas for some chicken cubes. But the chickpeas are my favorite and served on some yummy warm brown rice with a big handful of chopped coriander, I am a happy person.
Ingredients: (2-4 portions)
- 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- 2 large carrots, sliced into thick pieces
- 1 large zucchini cut into half slices
- 5-6 button mushrooms cut into quarters
- 5 green onions cut into thin slices
- 1/3 cup frozen organic corn kernels
- 1 can (398 mL) of organic chickpeas, well rinsed and drained
- ½ can (approx. 200mL) of unsweetened coconut milk(Keep the rest in the refrigerator for smoothies or chia puddings)
- 2 tbsp. red curry paste (store bought)
- 1/3 to ½ cup tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
- ½ cup water if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, heat coconut oil and add carrots.
- Stir carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and continue to stir until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add green onions, chickpeas, corn kernels and coconut milk.
- Mix well and add tomato sauce and curry paste. You will have to gently stir for a few minutes so that the curry paste dilutes into the rest of the sauce. If mixture is too thick at this point, add up to ½ cup water to make sauce more liquid.
- Cover with lid and let simmer a few minutes on low heat until the veggies attain desired consistency. I personally like them tender but not mushy. Adjust seasoning and serve with some brown rice or quinoa.*You can use many different vegetables in this recipe substituting the above or simply adding to them
*Chicken cubes instead of chickpeas also make a delicious meal. If using uncooked chicken, brown chicken cubes first in the coconut oil and set aside, then brown vegetables as per above recipe and add browned chicken cubes at the same time as chickpeas would have been added. Simmer at the end until chicken is cooked through.