24 Apr Salad Bowl with Marinated Tempeh and Creamy Tahini Dressing
Making a salad bowl is a fun creative process. You can use many vegetables to make it healthy and you can pair up unexpected ingredients to make it fun and different. Here is a recipe for marinated tempeh that I enjoy. I buy plain organic tempeh that has no added ingredients and I let it sit in the marinade a few hours to give it taste. I usually make the whole block of tempeh so I do have leftovers to use in a few salads throughout the week. It can be enjoyed in a wrap, a sandwich or in a stir-fry as well. The tahini sauce is similar to another sauce that I have been making often in the last few weeks. This also goes well with salads and with this tempeh bowl.
Marinated tempeh (3-4 portions):
- Original plain tempeh 240g
- 1 tbsp. brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil to fry
Creamy tahini sauce (3-4 portions):
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tbsp. miso
- 2 tsp. brown rice vinegar
- Water to thin out
Different Salad elements:
- Raw spinach leaves
- Raw beet spirals
- Roasted eggplant, cut in bite sized pieces
- Fresh figs, sliced
- Green olives, sliced
- Sunflower seeds (toasted or raw)
- Cut tempeh block into strips or cubes.
- Mix marinade ingredients and pour over the tempeh in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate from 30 minutes to a few hours ideally.
- When ready to enjoy, heat coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan and place tempeh pieces in the pan without overlapping.
- Cook one to two minutes on each side just until slightly browned. Make sure not to burn as it will brown quickly.
- Remove from the pan and keep until ready to assemble bowl (For one portion, use ¼ to 1/3 of tempeh block and save the rest for another day).
Other ideas to use tempeh:
- Put all dressing ingredients in a small bowl except water.
- With a small whisk, mix until creamy.
- Add water to thin out until you reach desired consistency (The miso is a very salty and tasty ingredients so you can add water and the sauce will still be very tasty).
- Put spinach leaves or other greens in a large bowl.
- Place all other ingredients on top of spinach including tempeh.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.
- Once served, mix salad with dressing and enjoy!