27 Jul Yummy Lentil Salad
I know I like lentils, but I don’t often think of making them or even eating them, even though they are quick to cook and ever so healthy. I find when it comes to beans and legumes, chickpeas are more popular with my family. I sometimes stock up on different cans of beans for emergencies and I found this can of organic lentils in my cupboard and as I was strolling through Sarah Britton’s “My New Roots” recipe book I came across “The Best Lentil Salad Ever” which is the title or the name of a salad that is featured in her book. I had some of the ingredients but she specifies that her salad has to be prepared with duPuy lentils or black “beluga” lentils, no substitutions and she of course cooks them from scratch. But I took some of the flavors in her recipe (mostly the dressing is unchanged) to reproduce my salad which was delicious. Even my husband who as I mentioned doesn’t love lentils LOVED this salad! It’s easy, quick and filling, try it!
Ingredients: for 3 meal sized salads
- 1 can 400g organic lentils (I used Bioitalia brand)
- 6 cups green lettuce of choice (Boston, Bibb, Frisee)
- ¼ cup to ½ cup packed basil leaves
- ¼ cups capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic scapes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup organic corn kernels, blanched
- 1 to 2 avocados, diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix rinsed lentils with corn kernels, red bell pepper, capers, and sunflower seeds.
- Chop the lettuce in bite size pieces, chop the basil and divide both evenly between 2 to 3 bowls.
- Add avocado on top of lettuce in each bowl
- Top bowls with equal amounts of lentils.
- For the dressing, mix all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to create an emulsion. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad bowls. There is enough dressing for 3-4 salads therefore make sure to not overuse as the taste is very powerful.