18 May Smoothie Bowl/ Chocolate Mousse
Call it a healthy breakfast or call it a decadent dessert, I think both descriptions are correct. This delicious mousse or smoothie is made with hormone balancing healthy fats and fiber. It is easy to whip up, it is low sugar, free of gluten and completely plant based. The recipe makes 2 potions which is perfect if you are 2 people eating it. I was alone eating it and so I decided to freeze the other portion for the next day and was amazed at how fresh it tasted the next day as I thawed it. In order to thaw, I put my glass in a bowl with hot water for 45 minutes.
The taste of this mousse is strong because of the cacao powder which gives it a nice kick in the morning. The healthy fats and protein are also very sustaining and will keep you full until lunch. If you are making as a dessert, I recommend you add a touch of maple syrup to sweeten a little.
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more to decorate)
- 2 tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. raw walnuts
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup frozen cherries (I used organic dark sweet cherries)
- Juice from ½ lime
- ½ cup water
- “If making as a dessert, add 1-2 tbsp. maple syrup”
- Process all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth
- Divide equally within 2 bowls and decorate with more shredded coconut and pieces of fresh fruit.