26 Jan Chocolate overnight oats topped with grilled bananas, fresh strawberries, and toasted almonds
Overnight oats are life changing. I’ve been going back and forth with them for the last few years. I go through phases when I have them everyday and then I’ll change it up to something different but every time I come back to overnight oats, I am reminded of how delicious they are. When you prepare these the night before, you are actually looking forward to waking up in the morning! They are also very popular with my customers, so many of them having started making overnight oats and now being addicted to them (it’s a healthy addiction if prepared properly). There are so many versions and I know I’ve posted quite a few recipes for them but we can never have to many breakfast ideas. I usually stay away from dairy but this one includes some Greek yogurt which really increases the protein content without having to add any protein powder. You can substitute with coconut yogurt but you will not end up with as much protein. I used organic 2% plain Greek yogurt. This recipe also makes two portions so you can keep the second one for the following day. I was nice and made my husband a nice overnight oats bowl and when he came down ready to leave for work in a rush, I handed him the bowl and convinced him to eat quickly before leaving. He devoured it! And loved it! He also felt it was very filling and he didn’t end up needing as many snacks after eating that breakfast to get through lunch time (he’s a snacker).
Ingredients (2 portions)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 2% organic)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened milk of choice (I used 1/2 cup coconut milk with 1/2 cup water)
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used cacao powder for more antioxidants)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. honey or maple syrup (I used 1 tsp. honey)
- 1 banana
- 1/4 tsp. butter (to grill banana)
- 6 strawberries
- 2-3 tbsp. sliced almonds
- Mix all ingredients together and divide into 2 portions.
- Keep in a jar with tight lid and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, you may need to add liquid if it’s too thick, and mix again.
- Enjoy cold or heat a few seconds (30 secs) in the microwave for a warm breakfast.
For the topping:
- For the grilled banana, on a non stick pan, add a little bit of butter and grill slices on both sides. Add 1/2 banana per bowl and 3 larges sliced strawberries.
- For the almonds, lightly toast sliced almonds in a pan without any oil. Keep you eyes on it to make sure they don’t burn. Add 1 to 2 tbsp. per bowl.