22 May Roasted broccoli and mushroom salad
I made this as a single salad that was perfect for a meal for myself. Obviously, you can double, triple or even quadruple the quantities to obtain a big party salad that serves as a side or you can make mustiple meal size salads for the whole family. When I make a small quantity of roasted vegetables, I like to use my toaster oven because it heats up very quickly and I feel the veggies also roast more quickly. If you make larger quantities, you will have to use the oven and it may take a little longer for your veggies to become perfectly crisp.
As it often is the case, I used vegetables and ingredients that I had on hand to make this salad and it turned out surprisingly delicious. Where I would have usually used a lemon, I only had limes and so I used lime juice and I wanted dried oregano but only had a mix of Italian herbs and I used lentils instead of the chickpeas I had in mind and I am convinced that all these elements made the salad even more delicious!
It is a very versatile recipe and feel free to use what you have as well but this precise combination turned out amazing.
- 1 cup broccoli florets cut into small pieces (or more)
- 5-6 brown button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp. dried herbs (Italian mix)
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil (olive oil can work as well)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup cooked brown lentils (I used canned lentils that I drained and rinsed very well)
- ¼ to ½ avocado diced
- 5 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- More salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 425 F.
- Cut up the broccoli and mushrooms and place on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle the Italian herbs, some sea salt and drizzle with the avocado oil.
- Mix with your hands to make sure the veggies are equally coated.
- Place in the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until your veggies are crisp and lightly browned on the outside.
- Remove from the oven and place in a salad (single meal size) bowl.
- Add the lentils, avocado, and tomatoes.
- Squeeze half a lime on top of your bowl and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Add pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Mix the salad.
- Taste and adjust. Enjoy!