22 Jul Tahini walnut granola
I’ve been baking and cooking a lot with tahini (banana bread, energy bites, cookies, sauces, salad dressings) and I came up with the idea of making a chunky granola with it, using aromatic spices to enhance the flavour. I am in love with this granola! It’s chunky, crunchy, not too sweet and so tasty. I made a YouTube video of how to make it which you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4MPxogWsE
I’m loving this granola to top my smoothie bowls, or in a breakfast parfait which I’ve been recreating a lot lately. Hope you give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 4 cups oats (I used gluten-free sprouted oats)
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (I really like big chunks)
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cardamom + 1 tsp. extra for later (we add this at the end only)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon for later (we add this at the end only)
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar
- ½ cup tahini paste
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients (except the extra tsp. of cardamom and the cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- On the stove top, in a small saucepan, combine wet ingredients and stir on a very low heat just to melt and combine ingredients. This takes only a few minutes. Once melted, pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well with a large wooden spoon.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or a parchment paper
- Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and spread evenly.
- With the back of a spoon or your clean hands, pat the mixture to compact it evenly.
- Put into the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Remove from the oven and with a spatula, cut large chunks of granola and flip. Replace in the oven and bake another 5-10 minutes until this side is golden as well.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle the additional spices evenly on top of the granola and let cool completely.
- With your hands, break into pieces and keep in an airtight jar.