18 Aug Chocolate chip banana nice cream sandwiches
I am noticing that bloggers are coming out with their fall recipes. I am not ready!!! I don’t want the summer to end!! I’m loving the sunshine and the refreshing food, I’m certainly not ready for soups and stews. Ok, I will get there soon because cosy food is delicious but to make the summer last a little longer, I am introducing my nice cream sandwiches!! These are so good!! They’re sweet but not too much and they’re made with such healthy ingredients, you can honestly have them for breakfast. These are gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free, and they can be made vegan by replacing the honey with maple syrup. The cookies on their own are delicious and I had the idea to stuff them because I always freeze them when I make them and I often find myself eating them straight out of the freezer because they are delicious frozen. This is the perfect base to an ice cream sandwich isn’t it?
I made a Youtube video showing how to make these: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pYbfEPiT8&autoplay=1&mute=0
Hope you enjoy. If you make them and you enjoy them, please leave a comment. Tag me on Instagram.
Almond flour chocolate chip cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 6 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 4 tbsp. honey (I like it with only 2 tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (I use Camino 71% dark chocolate)
Banana chocolate chip nice cream
- 4 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 tbsp. creamy almond butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I use Camino 71% dark chocolate)
For the cookies:
- Mix almond flour with baking soda in a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix melted coconut oil with honey and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. If the dough is too dry, you may add a tiny amount of water (starting with a single tsp.) but I usually don’t need to do this.
- Add chocolate chips
- With a 1.5 tbsp. cookie scoop, form cookies on a silicone lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the cookies so they are shaped to become ice cream (or nice cream) sandwiches.
- Bake for 10 minutes (check after 8 minutes). The edges should be slightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet and transfer them to a cooling rack so they cool completely.
For the banana nice cream:
- Put frozen banana chunks into a high speed blender and add almond butter and vanilla.
- Start processing at a low speed and gradually increase to medium high. You should see the mixture quickly become creamy.
- Let it process until it’s completely smooth.
- Add chocolate chips and stir in with a spoon.
- Transfer the nice cream to an air tight container and keep in the freezer until ready to stuff cookie sandwiches.
- Once cookies are cooled, remove the nice cream from the freezer and if it has been in there for a few hours, let sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes. If however, it is freshly made, you can use right away. You want it to be soft enough to scoop and flatten a little but you do not want it to be melted.
- Take a cookie and add one tbsp of “nice cream” on the flat surface. Layer another cookie on top. Repeat with the rest of the cookies. I was able to make 7 sandwiches.
- The rest of the banana nice cream can be kept in the freezer and it’s delicious to eat on it’s own or in a sundae or an ice cream cone.