04 Jan Strawberry and avocado salad with almonds and feta
Happy New Year! Hope you are feeling hopeful for 2021. I know I always love starting a new year and this year obviously take on a whole lot more meaning than other previous years and although I’m not big on resolutions, I love resetting with healthy foods, new ideas, and fun goals. Nothing restrictive or complicated, just fun healthy goals.
This salad is so fresh and the combination of textures and flavours is just incredible. This is the perfect meal to get back on track with good healthy eating habits without feeling restricted. I could eat this any day and it’s packed with veggies, healthy fats, and fiber. The protein in this meal comes from the feta cheese as well as the almonds. If you want to add more protein, tofu, chicken, or chickpeas would work well.
I like to purchase hearts of romaine for my salads, as they are crunchy, sweet and so fresh. They usually come 3 per bag. I like to wash the leaves and store them in a large food storage plastic bag in which I poke holes with a tooth pick. This is the best way to keep them fresh as long as possible and when I’m making a salad, they are ready to use. It’s so much easier than washing as needed.
This recipe serves one as a main meal, you could also use it as a side for any other meal as it’s very simple and versatile.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2-4 large strawberries, sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ avocado, diced
- 2 tbsp sliced almond
- 2 tbsp crumbled goat feta
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a dry pan, on medium to high heat, toast sliced almonds. You must watch closely as you do this because they can burn easily. You can shake the pan or toss them with a wooden spoon and as soon as you see the color changing, you remove them from the heat.
- Make your dressing by mixing dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until you create an emulsion.
- Fill your bowl with the chopped romaine and add other veggies and avocado.
- Top with almonds and feta crumbles.
- Pour dressing on top and mix well.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste. (You can also add sea salt if needed. I find the dressing is tasty enough and the feta is also salty)